Cloud of Terms

Home Forums glossary Cloud of Terms

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by jon.satrom jon.satrom 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

phillipstearns

This thread is for the purpose of gathering terms.  Reply to this thread with your terms.  I’ll start it off by seeding the cloud:

Glitch
    Noise
    Error
    Media
    Technology
    Software
    Code
    Encode
    Decode
    Codec
    Data Bend
    Datamosh
    Circuit Bend
    Prepare
    Extended Techniques
    Medium
    Materiality
    Transcoding
    Structure
    System
    Generative
    Algorithm (algorithmic)
    Format
    Purpose
    Function
    Communication
    Transparency
    Discontinuity
    Break
    Rupture
    Continuity
    Entropy

lingeringcode
    Participant

I can think of the following few to add to the lot:
    Interrupt
    Modify
    Destructive Generativity
    Procedural
    Corruption
    Conservative Glitch
    “True” Glitch
    “Design” Glitch
    Compression
    New Aesthetic
    Hypertrophy
    Sublimity
    Videoscape
    Black Box
    Blackboxing
    Glitchspeak

steven_hammer
    Participant

Indeterminant
    Nondiscursive
    Transrational
    Rhetoric
    Phenomenology
    Posthuman

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

here are a few more (off-the-top-of-my-head) to throw into our storm-cloud computing:

RAM Barf, chaos, codecs, control, crash, domesticated glitches, feral glitches, hiccup, kludge, signal, Satromize (LOL), vector-punk…

And… I think Rosa and Iman had a word-map from the 20111 READER[ROR]… I’m a gonna dig that up…

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

GLI.TC/H B/Lingo
    Rosa Menkman and Iman Moradi
    p. 69 GLI.TC/H READER[ROR] 20111
    A festival, even one about glitches, cannot exist without expec- tations and playable frameworks.

DESIGN, DESIGN, WABI SABI, INTERLACED, MISTAKES, BORDER, NOSTALGIA, SERENDIPITY, ESTHETIC, REASON, DISASSEMBLY, ETHICS, HACKING, ORDER, ACCIDENT, BINARY, AFFECT, PROGRESS, UNDESIRABLE, STYLE, EFFECT, UNCANNY, PROGRESSIVE, PROTOCOL, POST, VOID, ECONOMY, RAW, POLITICS, GENDER, SOURCE, FILTER, MEMORY, ABSTRACT, SUBVERSION, FAILURE, PRESERVATION, OTHER, MADNESS, HEX, UTOPIA, ERRATIC, RHETORIC, CRITICAL, PARADOX, ARTIFACT, GLITCH, DOGMA, MATERIALITY, RELIGION, SYSTEM, ENTROPY, GENRE, IMAGINARY, SYMBOLICAL, NOISE, AVANT-GARDE, ERRATIC, DICHOTOMY, DELETION, MOTHERWELL, KITTLER, HARDWARE, CONCEPTUAL, EXPLOITATION, EMULATE, SIGNIFY, PHILOSOPHY, SYMBOL, SUBLIME, TRANSCODE, DIFFERENCE, DESTRUCTION, SOFTWARE, FRAGMENTED, JOHN GLENN, PERFORMATIVE, CIRCUITBENT, DATABEND, CONTINUOUS, HALIFAX ‘05, EXPERIENCE, SYSTEM, FLOW, INTENTIONAL, ENCODING, IMMEDIATE, DIGITAL, UNEXPECTED, CONDITION, GENERATIVE, NES

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by jon.satrom jon.satrom. Reason: Fourm didn't take the table I fed it :(
    jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

qwentl
    Participant

wild glitch
    unwanted glitch
    intended glitch
    invented glitch
    glitch-lite
    glitch aesthetic
    found glitch
    datamoshing
    databending
    data
    manipulation

GR4Y50N B46W311
    GR4Y50N B46W311
    Participant

#userwasbannedforthiscomment

ffd8
    Participant

PRECISE MISHANDLING!
    + more to come later when i double check they aren’t repeats

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

Just heard the term “Cartridge Tilting”  :)

ffd8
    Participant

hey folks – i was looking at this list and realized how hard it was to have an overview of terms, thought about how helpful it might be to separate into nouns, verbs, adjectives – and then realized, why not build a sort of glossary wiki for future use? what do you folks think of having such a system like this:

http://www.ffd8.org/glitch2112/glossary.php

this is just a quick demo snagging the first set of terms proposed by phillip [not hooked up to a database or anything just yet...]

- maybe for now, just a select group from this thread would be the master editors to start with? perhaps in the future anyone can add to a definition [with recaptcha] – but only the mods can edit/erase content that is spam?

ffd8
    Participant

or does anyone know of such a plugin/script/site that can already do this, to save time + efforts?

rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

Isnt there something like a Wiktionary? through which you could build a glossary?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by rosa_menkman rosa_menkman.

phillipstearns

These are great!  Rosa, is there a way to create a wiki entry for this working group on the Gli.tc/h website?

ffd8
    Participant

@rosa – hmm just had a look at that site and it does have benefits of being massive open to public editing, especially with discussion background page.. downside, it’s a bit of a clusterfuck for our purposes or rather filter of subject. i haven’t looked closely at their API yet, but even then, i don’t know how one could isolate just the terms that are relevant.

in the meantime i will propose this baby i started working on last weekend and is almost done [will put online once i've added function to adding verbs + a recapcha to try and handle spamb0ts]

glitch_glossary so far

rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

Hey Ted, Great, I am really liking this !

I got a message from Emma McNally to an alternative way of working, which we could quite possibly incorporate too for a more technical lexicon. I like this kind of cross-platform lexicon.

Take a look at her cloud of terms, its drawing/painting based but there are a lot of concepts that connect to electronic cultures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmamcnally/alltags/

<3

yolk
    yolk
    Participant

@ffd8 Whatcha buildin’ there? :mrgreen:

phillipstearns

@ffd8

How far along on getting that platform up and running?  I’d like to give it a test drive.  One thing I’d like to try is creating a collection of descriptions/definitions and in addition to a collection of terms.  To goal being to work in a tag based environment.  For instance, we can have a collection of descriptions that are tagged with terms, and visa versa, terms may also have multiple descriptions.  I want to start out with as much material as possible, and then allow for connectivity to be made later on.

I like the Verb/Noun sorting, perhaps these could be additional tags associate with terms to further the richness of how connections are made between definitions and terms.

The term glitch could appear as three unique terms: glitch (verb), glitch (noun), glitch (adjective).  A definition could appear as title-less text with the terms as tags below, or the title could be the tags.

ffd8
    Participant

hey folks! oh it’s so damn close to put online – still all local based for database reasons.. and anti-spammy reasons.. i want to hook up a recaptcha first so that it doesn’t get bombed.. OR since recaptcha is pretty annoying.. maybe a single basic login/password that we all [in this thread] share and can add to it until future notice. it would be ideal if i could somehow use the login system from this wordpress on the website, so if you’re logged in here, you can also add to the list.. but that can be figured out later. one goal is to have it sitting as a kiosk during gli.tc/h – so folks can wander past it and contribute on the fly.

the system is quite far and just about working – indeed it has multiple descriptions allowed on any given term, since it should get longer and richer per term. i haven’t implemented any tag system.. but yeah what @phillip + @rosa suggest is something good to consider, just big Q of how exactly it should work.. maybe there’s an ‘examples’ tab where work could be linked to as visual representations of that term. and indeed- there are many words on the list that fall under 2 or 3 categories depending on their exact spelling or intent = ah crap.

@phillip – aha, i think i now get what you mean with descriptions linking back to multiple terms, etc.. which i would quasi argue against, as it would be ideal if one could articulate on each and every term.. however, what it really could/should use, is a sort of ‘synonym-linking’ function.. so X term is very similar to Y term, therefor is on short list/tab of likeminded ones… = is that nearly all of them to each other, since it’s already quite niche?

it’s got some snazzy features – which have to be experienced.. again, online ASAP! + once initial launch is online, i’ll be github’ing it so others can feel free to tweak and add to the code where they can [= uh oh.. means showing off my sloppy style..]

phillipstearns

Actually as I think about it, I’m more concerned with the project as a living thing.  The purpose maybe to create very precise terms and definitions at one point, and then to break the connections.  While the initial idea for this started as something that might resemble a more academic/authoritative lexicon of key terms, I’m seeing other ways in which this issue of complication can be made into an experience through more or less commonly available and familiar interfaces (screen, keyboard, database inquiry, wiki style entry/revision/editing).

We now have to consider the interface in relation to the material and the ways in which we wish to treat the material in the future.

I’m imagining several different “modes” or “environments”, but there could be two key features:

Search – To start, a simple (and possibly breakable) keyword match search that returns both terms and definitions as separate items.

Selecting a term or definition brings the user to a place where they can not only form connections between terms and definitions (perhaps a second search bar?), but also see the connections made by other users before them.  The material is simply material and the Glossary becomes a catalog of both the material and, more importantly, the connections (tags and links).  I think this is sort of going from the wiki example that the community will form a reliable knowledge base through self-regulated checks.

Data Entry – There could be a “tab” to enter a new term without definition, to define a term already within the cloud, to create a linkage or connection between terms and definitions, definitions to definitions, terms to terms.  There may be other meta data about the term’s identity as a certain part of speech.

Rather than worry about something to present (as in the actual Glossary), perhaps we can work to create/modify the environment at the conference.  This working group and the material it has already generated would be used in the development of the overall structure and nature of the Glossary.

All this thinking and figuring out loud is great. This will be uber useful resource as I find myself having to explain what “glitch” is (mechanics, philosophy, culture) over and over again during the past few weeks (in 30 seconds or less). And while I am on topic of  rapid translating – I am here in this cloud to see if anyone had attempted to define “glitch community” (!) THIS IS FUN :D

and and @Rosa++Emma I am liking the “picture dictionary” —> I always appreciate a visual guide… that would be a fun project. Let me know if you want to work on that in futures.

ffd8
    Participant

hey folks – finally had time this weekend to revisit the glitch_glossary project =

http://ffd8.org/glitch_glossary/
    please PM me for login so that you can add terms + definitions
    *edit, there is no PM on here.. so please write me ted [at] ffd8 [d0t] org

@philipp – it does have the sort of data tab entry you describe.. however it lacks additional metadata – or relinking aspects.. perhaps we discuss more clearly just what that would entail?

@future – will add another entry field for linking to related works of a given term

if anyone hits strange bugs, you’re welcome!
    [but do please contact me if its one of those 'bad glitches' = new term!]

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  ffd8. Reason: no PM on here
    jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

Another term: generated on the NO_MEDIA thread:

RAW REALTIME

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.