Glitch architecture

Home Forums connexxxions && [RealTime] collaboration Glitch architecture

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Dave_musgrave Dave_musgrave 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

3d ArchitectureCritical Media Aesthetics meets architecture
    I have been thinking about how glitch techniques can and have been used in architecture. Lately I have spoken to more people working on (the fringes) of this kind of research. I was thinking that it could be nice to bring like minded together here.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by rosa_menkman rosa_menkman.
    aandnota
    aandnota

I’m in. I’ve been thinking about spaces a lot, not just conventional architecture, but Human Spaces. Digital/analog/mental/physical/whatever. When do you want to meet?

rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

I think we could do a coffee talk and see what comes out of it. the people I looped in the email are not going to be present at GLI.TC/H but send me emails the last month specifically about architecture maybe something remote is also a good option!

aandnota
    aandnota

Ok, cool. I’m up for whatever.

gilesspsmith
    Participant

Hi, I’d be up for something remote.

As my background is in architecture I’ve been really interested in the potential physical manifestations of the glitch. It seems particularly relevant at a time when more and more architecture is digitally designed and fabricated. Also in an intellectual culture of systems theory and cybernetics the glitch appears to be a powerful tool for radical critique.

I’ve done some writing and a little making, and I’m really interested to hear what your ideas are.

phillipstearns

I’m very much interested in this topic too.  I can appreciate the surface aesthetics of glitch migrating over into architectural design.  What gets me really excited though is introducing the glitch as a proceedural technique in the development process, i.e. using various techniques to introduce artifacts that are specific to the tools using to create and render the architectural models or plans.  Of course we are already in some way acknowledging the notion of failure as being pushed into other corner as the idea of what is glitch becomes somehow structural, or part of the process of expanding the scope of what a particular discipline encompasses in terms of its praxis.  Anyways, I see there being great potential in not only porting the aesthetic into architecture, but in exploring the artifacts that would otherwise be suppressed in the development of any contemporary architectural project.  Not simply the structural failure of an object or system, but the disruption of the very systems involved in producing structures that are structurally viable, in order to produce something that is structurally viable (read creative coding, not “bad/poor” coding).  Anyways… as always, a slippery road.

Dave_musgrave
    Dave_musgrave
    Participant

@gilesspsmith

“I’ve been really interested in the potential physical manifestations of the glitch”

As to the physical manifestation of glitch- the example that comes to my mind first would be from the Big Dig in Boston where a cement ceiling panel, from the newly completed tunnel, fell on a car and killed some ppl.  Incorporating glitch into architecture sounds dangerous.

If a building fell down or imploded and then ppl moved in and lived in the remaining structure; that would be glitch architecture, i think. –It has to related to intent. Otherwise ur talking about “glitch aesthetics”.  Like the MTV VMAs used last year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.