"Open Scene…" [Unity Glitch Environments ]

Home Forums DNMw3rkstati0n "Open Scene…" [Unity Glitch Environments ]

This topic contains 32 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  kentwilliams 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

hi,

looking at doing some kind of animation collaboration / workshop.

possibly using unity 3d + screenrecording as an animation rig.

sharing techniques,  coming up with alternative collaboration approaches to animation

creating an experimental animation during the festival and premiering it online or during one of the nights.

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by ricksilva ricksilva.

nickbriz
    Key Master

hey rick!

premiering it online, yes!

+ also should premiere it IRL, either Fri/Sat evening @Tritriangle  as one of the ‘thread outputs’.
    we should prepare for this ahead of time (i.e. discuss–on the Tritriangle forum–what might be the best IRL setup/context for the worx that come out of this workshop so Ryan + Will @Tritriangle can be prepared to  xibit these)

theodore
    theodore
    Participant

rick you should get at me. i just made a video for something that looks kinda like we’re in the same mindframe.

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

nick:  sounds good, i’ll bring it up in the tritriangle thread

theodore:  nice, let’s team up!

rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

why not use Unity 3d as a live performance tool? I have been experimenting with that lately and its fun!

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

This sounds rad!

@will (from TriTriangle) ++ others were talking about a Unity Glitch Gallery about a year ago… did that go anywarez?

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

rosa: nice! i’ve been wanting to try live performance with unity, ++ that approach is similar to screenrecording

if there’s interest online here, this mini-thread could figure out some process + content before the festival. maybe a shared cache of .obj, .assets, .unity, .anim, .etc files? but could be nice to just start fresh IRC(hicago) as well.

chriscollins
    Participant

mentioned this to rick off thread, but:
    Last year for Jordan Tate’s class at University of Cincinnati, I conducted a unity-based workshop called “digital arts and crafts.” In it, I introduced the students to the wonderful world of the sketchup 3d warehouse, and invited them to make “found object sculptures” that were then imported into unity for a virtual exhibition. We also collaboratively created skybox and floor textures in google drawing, and then recorded audio from a phone. The entire thing was built in a little over 2 hours. you can see it here: http://iamchriscollins.com/blog/digital-arts-and-crafts-daap/

It was really fun and simple structure with a low barrier to entry (sketchup is hella easy to use and free. My little brother and mom made some stuff even.) Something like this could be used as a foundation for the more complex programming, screen capping, live performance, etc, people mention above.

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

ya chris, between you n me (n possibly theo sounds like) we have a good base for a workshop  + realtime render farm

rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

Great,

I am looking forward to visiting your thread  = )

I will be lurking and sometimes jump in if you are ok with this, i would like to full-time attend but prolly have a lot of other things going on…. so sad : )

Rosa

chriscollins
    Participant

another cool and easy technique for object creation is to create paths in illustrator/vector program > extrude in c4d > import into unity. You can create an entire sidescrolling level in like 5 minutes.

rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

For Xilitla i used notepad on existing objects : ) you can databend them!

1 this post is aweummmm, unity holds so much potential as a  virtual”glitching” environment

2  tampering with skyboxes particle and water textures in unity can produces some really cool glit-chezz. i am really interested in this and to see where it will go

@rosa

yeah, unity is great for realtimeerz performance. I am currently using unity in my performance setup and will be performing with a string quartet on dec 1st. I’ve been working a lot with getting unity operating with lemur via OSC for performance purposes.

@jon

Alfredo and I were recently discussing the fate of the unity gallery. We would love to get this project rolling again and from what I remember everyone sensed really into it, but we/I haven’t really gone beyond the discussion phase. Mostly i feel like I just don’t want to tackle the project on my own as it would be more successful as a group effort (at least I think so). If people are still interested in working on something like that then I would love to get the ball rolling again!

-William

missholloway
    missholloway

@ william

maybe talk to bryan/totallyfuckingradical  & nickkegyan/extrakrispy. i think they might be into going ahead with the unity glitch gallery with you and alfredo. we were talkn abt it on a class trip one day and they expressed a lot of interest. let me know if you need ways to contact them if you don’t know who they are already.

——-

also does joseph c’s yolkalyzer have any potential to be included in this here? i think it’s a great tool to teach/talk about/experiment with considering it’s awsummm, entertaining and homeeeeegrowWN. =D

thanks shawne, shes right,i think a unity gallery would be awesome to make a virtual glitch gallery, we kinda met before  but yea im definitely for it

nickkegeyan
    nickkegeyan
    Participant

unity gallery would be rad!

+any other 3d/unity/animated would be awesome too =)

The Unity gallery is an idea that I have sort of been working on for a while. I do think that it has the potential to make a great mobile gallery space for glitch stuffs but I also hope that it would expand to include other work (not necessarily glitch) as well. The original idea was to create a gallery and interface template so that artists could submit material to be published as a mobile app gallery for IOS and Andriod with the potential for a web component as well. The benefit of releasing the gallery as a mobile app would be that “users” or “gallery patrons” would be able to easily download updates to include additional wings of the virtual gallery space as it is expanded on each additional exhibition. There is also the potential here for either a one time download or subscription fee to help pay for development and licenses. Of course we could get a lot of things done using the free version of Unity however there would be many benefits to the development process if we could procure full licenses. Also to release on IOS or Andriod licenses would be required as this is a pro only feature of Unity. I am excited to hear more about what everyone else’s ideas are though :)

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

Heya Every01, This is GR8!

Let’s plan on this mini-thread/micro-thread happening! There’s sooooo much potential here!

Some suggestions and questions are:

# SkillSharing:
    It seems that this is a hub of knowledge! I think we should consider a SkillShareSession where folks here have the opportunity to share their favorite tips and tricks for 10min to 15min. Do you think this would be best at the beginning of the HCL on FRI morning over coffee? (I do…)

# Thread Outputs at TriTriangle (FRI && SAT evenings):

Projection at TriTriangle of gallery work-in-progress… This can motivate output on the first day and allow conversations to invite more individuals to the SAT DNMw3rkstation at HCL…
    Projection of rendered/screencapped fly/walkthroughs…

Are there are opportunities for cross-talk/sharing between other outputs of DNMw3rkstation? For example, could data-bending xperiments be displayed w/in the gallery?

As for potential performances, it seems that the interest surrounding that can manifest within other realms of the conference/festival/gathering… eg. the DirtyOpenRobin

I love the idea of folks using this mini-thread to xperiment w/ strategies to build a UnityGallery. Hopefully it will help develop a foundation to support the collaborative conversations that existed before and after GLI.TC/H 2112!!!

Question/concern

do we think a unity gallery type thing would be something that is plausible to conceive and put together in time for glitch, or would this be better suited for discussions rather than trying to throw something together at the last minute?

nickkegeyan
    nickkegeyan
    Participant

we could make it happen during gli.tc/h

as a minithread or whatever the title for that type of thing would be. i know everyone is going to be busy running around and involved in other events during gli.tc/h but i think with everyone who’s expressed interest in doing a unity glitch gallery it’s definitely doable.

+i don’t know if he is on the working groups but kevin carey / yung pharoah does a lot of rad work with unity. not to speak for him or anything but i’m sure he’d like to contribute

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

Hi All,
    We’re on the schedule http://gli.tc/h/2112/schedule.html
    <ctrl+v>
    - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
    Unity Glitch Environments
    - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
    Developed in the “Open Scene” conversation on the DNMw3rkstati0n Thread initiated by Rick Silva, in which participants will share alternative techniques to build, record, explore and perform within the videogame engine Unity.
    To participate in this collaboration on Friday and Saturday nights, bring a computer loaded with Unity (free here) and participate in the DNMw3rkstati0n:
    FRIDAY: 9AM – 12PM; 3PM – 5PM HIGH CONCEPT LABS
    SATURDAY: 9AM – 12PM; 3PM – 5PM HIGH CONCEPT LABS
    Facilitated by: Rick Silva
    WorkingGroup: Open Scene
    </ctrl+v>
    Let’s keep the overall vibe of these sessions relaxed, like around 6 FPS maybe?
    That being said, some organization is probably a good idea. On Friday morning we can meet and get situated,  at 10am start with ~15 minute skill share sessions and/or intros for people that don’t know Unity. In the afternoon we can come up with one or more 24 hour project(s) we want to work on, then premiere them in the Sat night output + release them online.

#CreateOther #ConfigurableJoint #WindZone

aandnota
    aandnota

This sounds awesome. I teach Unity in a game design program, but use it for my own nefarious art purposes. I can’t wait to learn some new tricks.

that sounds great, me and kevin carey and nick/extrakrispy are onboard to share our bag of tricks

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

Here is an updated schedule

http://www.facebook.com/events/280196668750048/

We’ll have afternoons 3-6 on Friday and Saturday to Unit(e)y.

The schedules say it’s a “Unity as animation rig” session. And while I am still very interested in that approach, there is, of course, room for other collaborations; Unity Gallery, performance, or any other splinter (animation) cells.

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

#dirty #newmedia #unity

ricksilva
    ricksilva
    Participant

hoktabar
    Participant

Hey! Hope I’m not to late, but I devolepd a performance in unity for my graduation. Made a blog with some scripts, maybe of some help: http://videodrivt.blogspot.nl/p/scripts.html

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  hoktabar.
    aandnota
    aandnota

I also use Unity a lot. http://alexmyers.info

kentwilliams
    Participant

Does this work on mobile platform? I am always on the go, its part of my job, so my only free time to use will be during every hrs of ride from one place to another and o that time would be much better if also doing same thing like this.

Cheers,
    Kent Williams
    custom iphone cases designer”

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.