"quotations"

Home Forums ouLANGltchpo "quotations"

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by curt curt 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    curt
    curt

feel free to add provocative/relevant/fruitful quotations about language, glitches, or whatever; gleaned from the suggested readings or from other sources.

“I asked myself if music were not the unique example of what might have been — if there had not come the invention of language, the formation of words, the analysis of ideas — the means of communication between one spirit and another.” – proust

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by curt curt.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by curt curt.
    curt
    curt

“his voice, like a knife on the grindstone, emitted various vague and rusty sounds” – proust

jonCates
    jonCates
    curt
    curt

“The structural key to this exhibition is the notion that utopia is, if not always a collective project, at least a fantasy of collectivity, since here individuality is anathema. To speak of collectivity and utopia is a tautology. Utopia is based on a totalizing, if not always totalitarian, impulse, entailing a coherent law and a stable symbolic, eschewing the aleatory and the deviant, eliminating accident and disorder.

Could one imagine an exhibition based on the notion of private utopias? Would this not pose epistemological problems parallel to those evoked by Wittgenstein’s critique of the notion of private languages? Might this not be the history of reverie? Would this be madness? Such a project would entail a celebration of individuality, of impurity, of shadows, of silence, of perversity. We need not access psychoanalytic theory to realize that perversion contests the law of the symbolic, and that no utopia can contain a society of radical individuals, a community of those who disavow community.” – Allen S. Weiss [emphasis mine]

sometimes when i’m talking to my dog i realize how limited we are

from wikipedia (sorry): An idioglossia is an idiosyncratic language invented and spoken by only one person or very few people. Most often, idioglossia refers to the “private languages” of young children, especially twins, the latter being more specifically known as cryptophasia, and commonly referred to as twin talk or twin speech. Children who are exposed to multiple languages from birth are also inclined to create idioglossias, but these languages usually disappear at a relatively early age, giving way to use of one or more of the languages introduced.

curt
    curt

my uncles are twins. they came up with “brush and tears.” brush=poop and tears=pee.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted by at

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.