re: more on community –> solidarity?

Home Forums glitchxxx cultures re: more on community –> solidarity?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by atrowbri atrowbri 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

“Although a community is a cultural system (in that it transcends its individual persons) do not assume that a community is a harmonious unity. It isn’t. It is full of factions, struggles and conflicts, based upon differences in gender, religion, access to wealth, ethnicity, class, educational level, income, ownership of capital, language and many other factors.” — I dont know much about the guy who wrote this (Phil Bartle), but it seems like a relevant chunk of sociology and a good general descriptor to drop in here.

re: communication – It has been brought to my attention that the formality/structure of longforumspeak is challenging… that people “talk past each other”… and it feels competitive and frustrating.

my note here: I always find words to be more like random playthings cause they are so decontexualized from other lived nonverbal experiences (nonverbal language/histories of relationships). Intersubjective shared inferences (if that is even possible) and mediated points of ref are easier to arrive at through conversation… long and slow… with lots of silence and goofing off and outbursts. Def not “efficient” or “valuable” way of communicating according to conventions/expectations.

re: art – always already marginalized

re: tech art – always already marginalized + necessarily territorial

re: tech art political/social – always already marginalized + necessarily territorial + defensive

re: tech art political/social/critical – always already marginalized + necessarily territorial + defensive + challenged

re: tech art political/social/critical/vulnerable (material, ideas) – always already marginalized + necessarily territorial + defensive + challenged infinite loop (hard on human beings)

atrowbri
    atrowbri

re: communication – It has been brought to my attention that the formality/structure of longforumspeak is challenging… that people “talk past each other”… and it feels competitive and frustrating.

This is how listservs and forums often feel to me and why I don’t participate in things like Nettime or empyre. I am subscribed to both but they get automatically archived into their respective folders. I visit them sometimes but I’m rarely tempted to join in. The idea that one should be able to defend anything one says at any time to anyone demanding it is not particularly useful and undermines solidarity.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.