REALTIME EVENT

Tagged: 

This topic contains 30 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  ffd8 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    yolk
    yolk
    Participant

In regards to myself, my favorite aspect of the festival is the realtime performances.

I am starting this topic to generally see who would be interested in performing themselves?

This I believe, is the intention no? Let’s use this forum as platform for solidifying some sort of event that may come to fruition during the event this December.

hellocatfood
    Participant

Yes, me perform plz

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  hellocatfood. Reason: wut

Alex Halbert
    Participant

Yes Yes Yes on the RealTime.  I am still working out whats going on with square square but i plan to be involved either way.

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

YES!!!!!!

As I mentioned on: http://working.gli.tc/forums/topic/proposal-realtime-show/

“Thread Outputs” will include realtime performances, installations, artifacts, collaborations, and experiments instigated here on the working groups and during the IRL threads Dec 6-9 at HighConcept Labs…

Where there are outputs, there need to be inputs, if you’re interested in participating in a realtime capacity (awesome!) consider yourself a “Thread Input”. Please share your thoughts and ideas here, in the Working Groups, and plan to participate in the Threads on Dec 6-9. Your Input will be reflected in the Thread Output. If you’re looking to instigate a collaboration, hop over to the collaboration && community projects forum.

THREAD INPUT (PEOPLE, IDEAS, CONVERSATIONS) >> THREAD OUTPUT

Feel free to DM me, discuss in-thread, or simply post ideas all up in hurrr!
    Details/methods/initiatives will emerge out of the threads!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by jon.satrom jon.satrom.

i am interested in this as well  and would love the opportunity to perform

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

Vaudeo Signal is also on board. We’ll have more information / ideas soon.

jeffkolar
    Participant

I’d be happy to demo a new project of mine: Ringtones - a set of operative ring tones produced specifically for use by mobile telephones. The piece investigates the dominant cadence patterns (i.e. ring-pause-ring), and other audible signals like the dial tone, busy signal, off-hook tone, and recorder tone.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  jeffkolar.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  jeffkolar.
    jamesconnolly
    jamesconnolly
    Participant

Kyle and I are interested in performing as Cracked Ray Tube. He’ll be flying into Chicago Saturday, December 8 so we could perform that evening.

Really looking forward to the realtime events this year!!

missholloway
    missholloway

yes yes, plz contact me too! there will probably be a revolving lineup but either way there will be someone there 2 dither sum d00m.

kyleevans1123
    Participant

As James said, we are totally down to perform cracked ray tube at gli.tc/h. I will be up in Chicago on the 8th and I will also have my new instrument with me, de/Rastra: http://yaktronix.com/derastra

Would love to get to perform it too on the 8th if possible.

woah, now thats a fine piece of electronic equipment right there cant wait to see it

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

So what now?

Are we deciding on a structured, fixed list of performers or is it all comers welcome / “fuck it we’ll do it live”?

Put another way, is this an open sign-up list and we’ll just dedicate a portion of a night to open-mic style performance?

Are there time slots to be assigned?

Will there be publicity? I haven’t felt like I can publicize at all because I have no idea when we or anyone else will be performing. I know “Thread Outputs” are on the schedule, but what is happening on each night?

Who’s steering this ship?

Dave_musgrave
    Dave_musgrave
    Participant

Hey-yeah.  I am not performing this year, but i’ve been trolling this thread ++ i would like to participate in the realtime part of GLI.TC/h ++ i know most or ur work– so i would like to curate this year’s realtime event if no one has any objections.

Here r the things i need to know:

How long is ur set?

Can u provide/bring everything ur going to need for ur set to the event?[including tables+multi-plugs+adapters+etc. to plug into the video mixer/projector{assuming  ur going to be outputting to a projector }]?

Is a projector + videomixer + sound mixer + PA going to be provided by the bots+/-/TriTriangle?

R u going to need the internets? And/or any other amenities? (I’m not promising anything.)

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

Hey Dave,

Thanks for volunteering, I think it’d be super helpful to have you act as curator / organizer / point person for the realtime night.

As far as Vaudeo Signal is concerned:

- we can provide all our own gear and cables. we’ll need power run to us, and a table would be helpful but we’ll try to bring a couple little ones as well.

- no internets needed

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

It might be useful to assemble another snake like we all shared at the MCA Round Robin. I believe TriTriangle has audio cables and a long VGA, so assuming those are available we’d just need to locate a long BNC / RCA / S-Video (anything composite really).

I’ve got an 80 ft BNC which was used for the Round Robin. I’m happy to lend this for the performance snake, though I had an idea in the back of my head for running it to a monitor in the bathroom :)

Ryan ⊥ Dunn

I’m interested in performing either as Instinct Control or doing one of my untitled palate controller sets using languages I don’t speak. Descriptions of both of these can be found in a pdf I created for a tour I’m trying to set up just after GLI.TC/H

http://www.liscentric.com/docs/RyanTDunn2012WinterWest.pdf

nickkegeyan
    nickkegeyan
    Participant

count me in!

Dave_musgrave
    Dave_musgrave
    Participant

Ok- so, the REALTIME performances are going to happen in a 5×5 round robin format. More info can be found here –>  http://gli.tc/h/2112/schedule.html#Robin

So for a list (in no particular order) of performers we got:

1. hellocatfood

2. James Connolly of Cracked Ray Tube???

3. Vaudeo Signal

4. jon.satrom

5. Ryan Dunn /+ Instinct Control

6. nickkeygeyan

7. Morgan Higby-Flowers

8. Jeff Kolar

9.  Miss “d1th3r d()()/\/\” Holloway

10. Bryan

11. Alex Halbert

12. yolk – r u in?

Anybody else? It would be nice to get an even 15.. Can i interest I <3 Presets? Rosa? Glitchard?

Dont be shy – plz let me know..

Also- we are going to need to build a SNAKE!  Ben, u have a BNC cable for composite needs + TriTriangle’s VGA.. PLZ LET ME KNOW IF U NEED SOMETHING ELSE FOR THE PROJECTOR!!  Everyone plz post their video output and audio output needs so the round robin can move as smoothly as possible.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Dave_musgrave Dave_musgrave.

kyleevans1123
    Participant

Hey Dave

I can’t get into town till Sat so I can’t participate in this one. But maybe James is down for something?

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

Hey Dave, can you explain a little more what “three slots of ~5 minutes for back-to-back performances in a series of 5.” means? (taken from the schedule text).

I’ll reserve that BNC for the round robin. For the MCA show we assembled the snakes ahead of time, maybe we could do that again in the first half of next week prior to festivities ramping up?

Dave_musgrave
    Dave_musgrave
    Participant

@Kyle – DAMN! I have been wanting to see the De/Rastra in action for months! I hope James is up for doing something- R u James?

@Ben- TriTriangle can only accommodate so many ppl being set up at once. So- I think 5 ppl r going to set up and perform in a ~25 min (~5×5) round and then quick break while the next wave of performers set up (quickly) and do another wave of 5 performers. We’re going to do this 3 times so that errybody gets a time on the big stage.  –This is how i have decoded the bots, but my decoder often seems to glitch

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

@kyle Ah man, I want to see the de/Rastra too!

@dave The round robin style is great, and the emphasis the multiple waves puts on simplicity of setups (related to NO_MEDIA in that way) will be fun. Awesome!

jamesconnolly
    jamesconnolly
    Participant

Dave, I’m definitely down to take part in the Round Robin event! Because Kyle won’t be in town until Saturday it will just be my VGA setup. My system is pretty self-contained, I’ll be outputting two XLR cables to the sound system and I won’t need to connect to a projector.

Because Kyle will be in town on Saturday we could take part in events with the full Cracked Ray Tube system then. I really can’t wait to see the de/Rastra instrument in action as well!

t4c0c4t
    t4c0c4t
    Participant

Nevermind.. Not going to make it this year *tear*

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by t4c0c4t t4c0c4t.
    jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

Hi Every01! This looks soooooo gr8… I’ve chatted with a few folks individually, but wanted to catch up on the list and chime in…

@dave, your decoder validates! 5×5 = Five folks forward at a time. This means there will be a ton of different setups and stuff; so, @ben you are right… It would be wise to consider a “simple” system for performance. The Open Robin doesn’t have the constraints like NO_MEDIA, but logistics (set-up space/time) will inevitably impose constraints…

Passing the snake is totally the way to go…

I was thinking the snake at the MCA was 100′ … But I just talked to @will and he said it was 50′… I think 50′ should work just fine in TriTriangle… Between us, I think we can build two, which may speed-up sound-checks and switches…

I have one 50′ SVIDEO, 3x 50′ RCA (w/BNC adaptors), 50′ HDMI, and one 50′ VGA

TriTriangle has four 50′ 1/4″, one 50′ VGA

@ben has one 80′ BNC

Please also remember that OpenRobin and NO_MEDIA aren’t the only opportunities for performative output. Each Thread has time slotted on SAT for “Thread Outputs”. If you feel that your performative system/method/technique doesn’t fit in the imposed constraints of NO_MEDIA nor the situational/logistical constraints of OpenRobin, you should consider sharing your work within a relevant thread during the daily sessions. Your work will affect the conversation and potentially effect the Thread Output!

thnx to @dave and @ben for pushing this along here. @ben, re:”steering the ship“, the short answer is we all are… @dave, @will, and I are point people on this and I am available for any question at any time.., the longer answer is: The intentional structures and situations in place are to (hopefully) instigate new combinations of people/work/ideas and conversations about people/work/ideas. This puts all of us in the position of helping steer and look out for one another (like any healthy community)… Illustrated wonderfully on this list ;)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  GLI.TC/H.
    Dave_musgrave
    Dave_musgrave
    Participant

I’d like to see the full Cracked Ray Tube experience along side the ReFunct/DeFunct installation..

yung.pharaoh
    Participant

hey every1, a little late on this thread but if that 15 people hasn’t been filled I’d love to take one of the spots.

jamesconnolly
    jamesconnolly
    Participant

@ Dave–kyle and i will be definitely be setting our system up to connect with Benjamin’s ReFunct/DeFunct installation on Saturday. Really looking forward to all of this!

Dave_musgrave
    Dave_musgrave
    Participant

@ yung.pharaoh  There r still spots available.  There will be a signup @ TriTriangle for spots.

ffd8
    Participant

ack! just now looking at this thread – i too would be interested to show some realtime glitchin or assorted visuals.. perhaps audio as video if i can test the setup before packing up tonight.. i’ll see how much space i have in luggage – but great if there will be signup sheet for spontaneous performing in the evening either with an organized thread or openPORT time. cheers!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  ffd8.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted by at

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.