www3RKIN (A) top!xxx: "¥ ß (A) 1337?!"

Home Forums DNMw3rkstati0n www3RKIN (A) top!xxx: "¥ ß (A) 1337?!"

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by jonCates jonCates 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jonCates
    jonCates

i thin/feel it wwwould b kwwwl to build a bridge to a couple other hyperthreads, hystories + http://working.gli.tc/ groups via posing the QUESTION in the form of a fewww moments of the D1RTY N3W M3DI∆ www3rkstati0n in witch we ask: ”¥ ß (A) 1337?!”

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by jonCates jonCates.
    jonCates
    jonCates

“As the Internet was coming into its own, during the early 1980s, hackers that didn’t want their websites, newsgroups, etc, to be picked up in a simple keyword search began using numbers to replace certain letters (mostly vowels) such as A = 4 or E = 3 … There is no agreed-upon way to write l33t, so it’s up to you whether or not to go with light l33t, medium 1337, hard |_337 or even ultra |_33ø|ø.”

h2g2 Researchers. “An Explanation of l33t Speak.” August 2002.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A787917

The proposal for “dirty new media” that we articulate (in various languages and affectations including l33t) is an attempt to play rather than render illegible. We want to resist clean code. Dirtiness prevents simple reductive indexing because it destabilizes indexicality, introducing and embraces noise.

Chicago is currently home to various noise projects that cross borders between New Media Art, hacking, cracking and experimental musics.” -  jonCates ++ jake elliott (2006)
    http://gl1tch.us/4RTCR4X0RZ.html

jonCates
    jonCates
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

”¥ ß (A) 1337?!”

Looks like “why be elite?!” but I’m not sure what the (A) represents :)

rosa_menkman
    rosa_menkman
    Key Master

I cant help but wonder, more and more, what is the difference between language and voice and where do they overlap?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by rosa_menkman rosa_menkman.
    jonCates
    jonCates

@Ben Baker-Smith, yes, totally that is the pronunciation && the (A) i have bin us’n since around 2005 in the context of r4WB1t5 micro.Festivals of Dirty New Media Art! i meant it then && nowww as an implied symbolic:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by jonCates jonCates.
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

Ah, neat. Thanks for the explanation, Jon.

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

from r4wb1t5 – 2007.06.20-2007.06.24

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

(A)wesum!
    @Ben: re: 2007.06.20-2007.06.24 |=(.).\`¥3(A)

(A) r4WB1t5 micro festival is a new platform or framework for (A)narchistic forms of decentralized mini or micro festivals to self-organize around themes + theorypractices of raw bits of digital art + dirty new media. (2005 jonCates ++ jon.satrom) http://r4wb1t5.org/r4WB1t5_README.TXT

@jonC: That’s a big question: Why be elite? I dig it…

To evade keywords… or now: [data mining/consumer-classification/analytics&&tracking]??
    I was looking for the 1337 [version/translation|maybe.now.account-settings:language] of Google for this post, but all I found was a: https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=xx-hacker #ref. I recall being able to switch Google to 1337, Klingon, and even ElmerFudd. (plz correx’t me if I’ve missed the option!) Are their playful language omissions an indicator of how the
    G(A)/\/\3   |-|45   ( |-|4|\|G3D?
    I did find that Facebook still has a “leet speak” language option:

We now all have “profiles”; We all have digital shadows (DJ Spooky talks about this, ya? #ref?); We all leave breadcrumbs of our activities on the now “social tubes”.

When Zuckerberg announced the ”Like system” during a conference (called F8) in 2010 promoting it to make the web more ”social” and ”smarter”, cnet.com reported ” What Zuckerberg didn’t point out is that widespread use of the Like button allows Facebook to track people as they switch from CNN.com to Yelp.com to ESPN.com, all of which are sites that have said they will implement the feature.”

According to the article, ”Even if someone is not a Facebook user or is not logged in, Facebook’s social plug-ins collect the address of the Web page being visited and the Internet address of the visitor as soon as the page is loaded–clicking on the Like button is not required. If enough sites participate, that permits Facebook to assemble a vast amount of data about Internet users’ browsing habits.”

So for example, if you visit CNN.com, ”the Like system” is able to track your move on that site simply because CNN.com is part of that system. If you then go to ESPN.com you are still being tracked by the Facebook plug-ins, so you don’t really need to be a user of Facebook. via: http://axiomsite.wordpress.com/

Have data mining companies like Axiom, Google, and Facebook superseded the original intent of 1337 by building such rich repositories of our activities VS our language?

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

I just stumbled across this perl script that converts text to 1337 speak with adjustable intensity.

Example: http://www.brendangregg.com/Specials/l33t_example.txt

The script: http://www.brendangregg.com/Specials/l33t

jonCates
    jonCates

@Ben, yeas, kwwwl && yeas, there are a # of them out there which i <3 i.e. the presets of adjusting 1337ness of language via sites such as a personal fav of mine: http://www.ypass.net/misc/haxor/
    in faxxx, @Satrom && i developed 01 to use for a project of mine baxxx inna daze AKA circa 2002 ish… i most likely still has it on a dusty dirty new media harddrive sum wwwarezzz…

jonCates
    jonCates

@Satrom, abt abv, yeas, i know what you mean && yeas i have similar memories abt Google options for 1337, but as that ex itself calls out, i disbelieve that simple alphanumerical substitutions wwwould halp anymoar in terms of preventing our (data)selves from being (data)based… i agree that i was / is a motivation && that mayhaps @ sum pt earlier it could have been used as a kinda computer-based stage magic to distract bots that monitor / police online textual exchanges. but again, as the G00gle in 1337 ex points out, all of these systems are sufficiently advanced enough technologies to automajikally see behind the curtain, translate txts mechanically + exxxpose meanings encoded in simple alphanumeric conversions

jonCates
    jonCates

@Satrom …i remember vividly when FB started to support my ‘languages spoken’ choices AKA mezangelle

jon.satrom
    jon.satrom
    Participant

@jonCates re:2002; awe, man! we gots to dig that up… it got (®4-/.¥! re:mezangelle on FB, rad… not useable though, ya? It would be great to have useable ad-hoc languages mezangelle, glitchr, jodi, etc!

“all of these systems are sufficiently advanced enough technologies to automajikally see behind the curtain, translate txts mechanically + exxxpose meanings encoded in simple alphanumeric conversions”

So… since “modern” systems/apps/websites/companies are based in database storage and algorithmic associations, is there a 1337 ethic AKA 37|-|1( that eternalize the cyber-magics?

Makes me think of some of Gæoudjiparl van den Dobbelsteen’s work, thoughts, writings…

jonCates
    jonCates

@SATROM, yar, yr moar familiar wit Goodiepal && his projexxxterisms than i am so ya, it wwwould b kwwwl to hear howww these thoughts are rltd to his werxxx…

&& yea, i thin u grok’d abv that i was invoking:

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” – Arthur C. Clarke (1973)

wwwitch is itself an invocation of:

“Witchcraft to the ignorant, …. Simple science to the learned” – Leigh Brackett (1942)

b/c as yawwwl knowww alrdy, im into codes as invocations, as spells in various kinds of computer witchcraft. these are rltns i imagine @SATROM when you say “eternalize the cyber-magics”. so in other words, if the question is ‘why be encoded’ + an answer or set of answers is ‘for the sakes of cyber-magics, computer withcrafts, glitchcrafting as spellcrafting, etc…’ then yeas, i wwwould sez yez…

jonCates
    jonCates

stallio
    Participant

Ben Baker-Smith
    Ben Baker-Smith
    Participant

1337 error, observed in the wild

jonCates
    jonCates
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.